Pingyao City Wall
city wall was first built in Xizhou Xuanwang period(827-728B.C.),when
warrior Yinjipu had it built with earth and mud to defend
the city with enemies. It was expanded and rebuilt of
stones and bricks in 1370 DC.
The city wall complete and well protected with the total
length of 6.4km.The wall is 10 meters high and 5 meters
wide withthe inside made of earth and outside of bricks.
There are all together 72 towers and 3,000crenels.
Pingyao city wall is famous as “tortoise city” from
the old times and is called “the First City in North
China” by many scholars, It is now one of the state
priority protection units for relics.
county government office was first built in 1346DC.Except
for a Yuan style building, most of it are rebuilt in
Ming Dynasty. It is composed of archway, ceremonial
gate, six divisions, the prison, the court, meeting
room, residential area and garden. Incontrast with Chenghuang
Temple, it responsible for governing “Yang” world meaning
the human world, while Chenghuang Temple for go verning
“Yin” world meaning the spiritual world, which showed
the good will of the people. It is the miniatuere of
the emperor palace at the basic level and is the important
material for studying ancient political system and civil
Rishengchang Draft Bank |
sheng Chang Draft Bank-the first draft bankin china,
which hasnow become the china Museum of Draft Banks,
It was once world-famous for“remitting money all over
Rishengchang Money Exchange Shop is suited at the
south of the busiest section of the Xida Street in
the city, covering an area of over 1700 square meters.
The Money Exchange Shop has been rebuilt in 1995 and
now it has been listed the China Museum of Money Exchange
Shop. In addition, it collected, arranged and stored
up a lot of historical information of other Money
Exchange Shop in Pingyao and shanxi and other places
in China and reflected the History of structure and development
of the Money Exchange Shop.
The Town God'Temple
of Town Gods and Future Gods, standing next to each
other, located in the southeast of the town. There exist
now morethan 100 house , most of them are well protected.
All the buildings are the relics of Qing Dynasty, small
and elegant. The rooftops, covered with refinement coloured
glaze, are highly praised by visitors. The Coloured
Glaze of the two temples gives priority to yellow, green
and blue. The colour of the glaze looks uniform and
right. This area would be a splendid spot in the city.
Temple is suited in the Haodong County which is 12 meters
away from the southeast of Pingyao city. Its former
name is Jingcheng Temple and changed the name later.
It covers 10892 square meters and architecture area
is about 5thousand square meters. It was recognized
the provincial preserved target in 1965.
Temple is located at the Qiaotou County which is 6 meters
away from the southwest of Pingyao city. Its original
name was Zhongdu Temple and changed into Shuanglin Temple
in Song dynasty. It was re built in the year of 571.
City Building is located at the South Street of the
city which is also the centre part of the city. As there
is a gold well nearby the building, it has another name
of Gold Well Building. It is also the important historical
relics in Shanxi Province.
The existing City Building belongs to Qing style which
is a kind of wood construction with three floors and
the roof is decorated by glazed tile, so it is elegant
in molding and exquisite in decoration. The downstairs
consisted of several valuable stone steles of Qing dynasty.
The City Building stretches over the South Street, so
you can overlook the signs of the whole city if you
on the highest floor.
Confucius Temple of Pingyao is a national relics protected
unit. The main building, Dacheng Hall, was repaired
in the 3rd year of the reign of Emperor Jindading (1163),
240 to 700 years before the ones in Beijing and Nanjing.
There are 87 sculptures of Confucius and his disciples
at the site, which is the largest number in any temple.
It has a fine regular exhibition of the History of structure of the
ancient Chinese Examination. The International Photography
Museum of Pingyao in the compound has a collection by
revolutionary photographers including Sha Fei , Wu Yinxian
and others. The Confucius Temple possesses a Ming Dynasty
examination paper with the highest score for that year,
as attested by the emperor’s writing on it ,the only
one remaining from the 1300year of the Confucian imperial
Taoist Temple is on the East street of the town. The
temple seated from north to south. There are three“Jin”yards
and totally tens of halls. It is now one of the province
priority protection units.
The Qingxu Taoist Temple was originally built in Tang
Dynasty (DC 657), named.
Lv tai is the founding person establishing Ri Sheng
Chang, the first draft bank in China. His residence
was built in Daoguang period and is consisted of two
main courtyards. The main courtyard has two parts
using super fine materials with grand style , signifying
the financialist richness and the spirit of a path
Courtyard has a History of structure of about 5 thousand years and
it is Ming dynasty architecture. Its total area is about
150 thousand square meters and 45 thousand meters has
been listed in the provincial antique to preserve. Nowadays
three architectural groups including the Gaojia Cliff,
the Red Gate Fort and the Xiaoyi Ancestral Shrine which
are respectively built in different periods of times
in Qing dynasty are named the Chinese People Art Museum
or Wangjia Museum. The whole area is about 45 thousand
square meters and the architecture includes 123 big
and small courtyards and 1118 houses.
Courtyard is courtyard of Zai Zhongtang’s .Zai Zhongtang
is the third generation of Qiaojia.
Qiaojia Courtyard is one of the ten best tourist scenic
spots of Shanxi Province. And it has received more than
5 million travelers and over 50 films and TV series
were shot here and one of the most famous films is the
Hanging-up of the Bright Red Lanterns.